Friday, March 20, 2015

Using a Pen Name

I never gave pen names much of a thought until recently. As I've had to break out into the public world with my presence I've sometimes wished I had used a pen name.

If you clicked that last link you're now responsible for tearing a hole in the universe.
This article does a pretty good job covering a lot of reasons that I hadn't even considered. The part about being hard to pronounce is significant as well. Justine Larbalestier (her real name) has mentioned before on her blog that an agent accused her of using a ridiculous pseudonym.

Whatever you do though, don't use a name you'd see on a Dungeons and Dragons character sheet. No one would ever take your seriously as Sapphire Greentree. Save that for when Forgotten Realms comes knocking at your door and keep your pen name relatively normal.

Unless you are, in fact, an elf
I ultimately chose to use my real name because I sell myself as a local indie author. Many of the people who read Dusted see me on a day-to-day basis. If I were to write under, say, Gwen Harper, it might be less believable and, ultimately, I have no real reason for it.

Besides, I don't pay attention when people call my name as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment