Friday, February 20, 2015

What I read in 2014 Fourth Quarter: I Should Probably be Editing

October

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

I read the entire book in three days. The only thing that stopped me from reading the next one so fast was that I had to work.

Trapped by Kevin Hearne

This one flew by by pretty fast too.

Hunted by Kevin Hearne

This one I didn't seem to like quite as much. Most of it involved running from A to B. Although I still enjoyed it, and it had its good moments, it just didn't totally grab me.

Obsidian Curse by Barbara Aninno

The first three Stacy Justice books were fantastic. Book four, Emerald Isle, however, just didn't have the same spark. I didn't plan to get book five but it was 50% off as a daily deal and decided to give it a shot. Sometimes there's just one book that doesn't seem to "work" with the rest of the series (like Ghost Story in the Dresden Files series) and I wanted to see if that was the case.

It felt like the author seemed to scrap some of the buildup/cliffhanger plot elements of book Emerald Isle and just shrug her shoulders, introducing different plot elements rather than tying them from the previous book. Still, it was a letdown and, while I finished the whole thing, it was a forced effort.

November

Shattered by Kevin Hearne

First, I had to get past the fact that it had a deckle edge (dun dun duuuuuunnnnn) I enjoyed it, and it wrapped up a lot of the stuff that's been going on since Hammered, but there are times when I feel like the author made the story too big, too fast. I keep reading and, for some reason, yearning for the main character's past adventures before things got so convoluted with a bazillion pantheons and an impending Ragnarok.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland

I was sucked in just reading Amazon's book preview a while back and was dying (pun seriously not intended) to know what happened next. I think I read the whole thing in 2-3 days. It's a little bit Warm Bodies, a little Sookie Stackhouse, and a little Dead Like Me. It's a very satisfying read, and different than the bazillion zombie novels that have come about in the last few years. Best of all, the whole story wraps up neatly without needing any sequels (although there are some if you wanted to continue.)

December

Night Broken by Patricia Briggs

I didn't like the previous two books, so this one took me awhile to get to. Luckily, it feels like it's getting back on track. Still, the main villain of the story felt completely random, like the author threw a couple of darts at some ideas. I didn't see much that contributed to the overall arc of the series, though I suppose I might be missing some stuff that will become more obvious in the next book

I'm actually pretty baffled, as I could swear that I read a couple more books in December, but I couldn't remember since I was getting lax about writing down what I had read. I also spent a lot of that time doing other things.

On to another great year of reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment